St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church Cootehill, Co. Cavan
Around 1800 a simple mud walled thatched structure was erected in the townland of Corcreeghagh. In 1821 Bishop Farrell O'Reilly who resided in the parish began his building programme. Between then and 1824 local people built the original Middle chapel. When complete, it became the first stone built Catholic Church in the parish since 1621.
Although called St. Mary's it is affectionately known as "Middle Chapel" as it is situated between Cootehill and Maudabawn. Up to 1897 the parish priest had resided in the middle chapel area but Fr. Francis O'Reilly the new parish priest that year chose to have his residence in Cootehill where all parish priests have lived ever since. Fr. O'Reilly was the founder of Cootehill Convent of Mercy in 1880 where his niece Sr. M. Joseph Markey was the first postulant.
The first renovation of St. Mary's took place between 1904 and 1909 when the graveyard was extended and the nave built. The next renovation was in 1946 when the stables, bandroom and vestry were demolished. The wall under the gallery together with the present vestry were constructed at this time and in 1959 the roof of the original 1824 church was replaced.
The most recent renovations were carried out in 1988. At this time the stained glass window, now in the east transept was translated from the old Mercy Convent where it had been erected in memory of Fr. Francis O'Reilly.
- View Interactive Graveyard Map
- Search for the deceased in this graveyard
- View historical documents for this graveyard
- View persons of interest in this graveyard