Dunglady Fort Burial Ground

 

Dunglady fort - an ancient fort, or homestead, is located less than a mile from the village of Culnady. Commonly dated from around 100 CE, though sometimes from as early as 2000 BCE, the forth was built by the Celtic Kings, and is the earliest known instance of resistancy in the Culnady area

The fort was occupied by tribes during the earliest periods of Irish history, until the arrival of the plantations (c.17th century) in Ireland, at which time settlers began to live in the low lying areas surrounding the Clady river, using it for farming, and thus the village of Culnady was born

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culnady)

This multivallate rath consists of a central, oval area, enclosed by 3 ditches between 4 banks, with a total diameter of 110 yards. The entrance at S is a passage through the defenses straight to the centre, which has a closed well. The interior & the banks are very much overgrown with woodland & scrub. The site was used in the C17th, when 3 houses were built during the Plantation, c.1622 & in the C18th & C19th, it was a Quaker graveyard. According to PSAMNI, there is 90ft between the innermost bank & the 2nd one & 60ft between the 2nd & 3rd and 3rd & 4th banks. The intervening ditches are very deep - up to 15ft deep in places - & waterlogged.

(Northern Ireland Sites & Monuments Record http://apps.ehsni.gov.uk/ambit/Details.aspx?MonID=12762)

There is no Interactive Map or list of deceased for Dunglady Fort as there are no headstone markings. Further information on Dunlady Fort is available in our Library documents.

 
Dunglady Fort Burial Ground