Castledawson Presbyterian Church, Co. Derry/Londonderry

 

Castledawson Presbyterian Church is situated on the Main Street in the village of Castledawson.

Castledawson Presbyterian was originally known as Dawson's Bridge and was formed in 1694 when the church was linked with Maghera. Rev John Tomb (1694-1718) resigned the Maghera connection in 1700 and a link was then formed with Magherafelt. Rev James Glasgow (1835-40) left to become a missionary in India and translator of the Gujarati Bible. Rev Robert Henderson (1888-89) also served for over thirty years as a missionary in India. He drowned at Portstewart Strand on 11 August 1921. Rev Robert Charlton (1890- 98) was later Moderator of the South African Church (1920) and Rev Robert Johnston (1899- 1904) was later Moderator of the Canadian Church (1932). The church was united with Curran in 1906 during the ministry of Rev Pattison Black (1905- 14). Rev David McGaughey (1968-73) was later Moderator of the General Assembly (1994). Membership today stands at 210 families.

From the book 'Presbyterians in Ireland - An Illustrated History' by Laurence Kirkpatrick.
 
Castledawson Presbyterian Church, Co. Derry/Londonderry