Knockloughrim Presbyterian Church, Co. Derry/Londonderry
Known as "The back of the hill"
The first Presbyterian congregation in the area was established here at Knockloughrim (Parish of Termoneeny) in 1696. At first the meetings were held in a private house, with parishioners travelling from as far afield as Ballyronan. A Church was built on this site in 1765 and the building improved in 1840. The Church is locally known as 'The back of the hill'.
The Graveyard is located on the Ballynacross Road, Knockloughrim.
Knockloughrim Presbyterian was formed about 1761 as a Burgher Seceder congregation in the Presbytery of Down. The first minister, Rev James Harper (1771-98), was court martialled for high treason in 1798 but acquitted. He emigrated to America. He was succeeded briefly by his son, also Rev James Harper (1800-01) who also emigrated to America, where he again succeeded his father, as minister in Abingdon. The church joined the Associate Presbytery of Ireland and was united with Boveedy in the 1840s. Following the ministry of Rev Hugh McIntyre (1881-1912) the church joined the General Assembly and became a joint charge with Tobermore from 191 5 until 1928. On 1 October 1928 the church was united with Bellaghy. Membership today stands at seventy families.
From the book 'Presbyterians in Ireland - An Illustrated History' by Laurence Kirkpatrick.
- View Interactive Graveyard Map
- Search for the deceased in this graveyard
- View historical documents for this graveyard
- View persons of interest in this graveyard
Council: Magherafelt District Council
County Co. Derry/Londonderry