Tobermore Presbyterian Church (Old) Co. Derry/Londonderry
Tobermore Presbyterian was formed in 1737 despite opposition from Maghera. The first minister, Rev James Turrentine (1744-48), returned for a second term as minister (1750-54) before the vacancy could be filled. Rev Alexander Carson (1798-1805) resigned from the church and Synod and formed an independent church which later became a Baptist congregation. He was succeeded by Rev William Brown (1810-60), who published a work on baptism. A new church was opened in 1897 during the ministry of Rev Marcus Stevenson (1884-1905), who resigned to become headmaster of Tralee Intermediate School. The church was united with Knockloughrim from 1915 until 1928. Following the ministry of Rev Robert Nixon (1965-72), the church was united with Draperstown on 1 March 1973. Rev Robert Dickenson (1973-89) was elected Moderator of the General Assembly in 1985. Membership today stands at seventy-seven families.
From the book 'Presbyterians in Ireland - An Illustrated History' by Laurence Kirkpatrick.
- View Interactive Graveyard Map
- Search for the deceased in this graveyard
- View historical documents for this graveyard
- View persons of interest in this graveyard
DetailsParish / Church: Tobermore (Presbyterian)
Council: Magherafelt District Council
County Co. Derry/Londonderry