St. Marys Roman Catholic Church Derrytrasna, Seagoe, Co. Armagh
St. Patrick's Church, Aghacommon, (often referred to as Derrymacash Chapel), is the mother church of Seagoe Parish. The church was erected during the pastorate of Reverend John McLeigh, 1826-31, described as 'one of the finest Dromore priests of the 19th. century'. The bell-tower was erected in 1977-78, principally financed by a gift of the Donaghy family.
CHURCH OF BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
A new building on this site was almost ready for opening when it was destroyed by the storm on the "Night of the Big Wind" (January 6th. 1839). The next issue of the Newry Examiner stated:
We regret to learn that the new Chapel of the Parish of Seagoe, which had been erected at great expense and with extreme exertion on the part of the Parish Priest, the Rev. Morgan, was levelled to the ground by the late fearful hurricane. It had just been roofed and would soon have been ready for consecration. This is a lamentable occurrence. The people of Seagoe were rejoicing in the hope of having a temple for the worship of the Most High, and just when it seemed secure to them they have lost the fruit of their long and pious labours. We are sure that the case will strongly excite the sympathies of the Christian public and that any appeal which may be made by the Rev. Mr. Morgan to repair the injury which has been done in this parish will meet with a ready and generous response.
- View Interactive Graveyard Map
- Search for the deceased in this graveyard
- View historical documents for this graveyard
- View persons of interest in this graveyard
Council: Craigavon Borough Council